Map

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May 8th

Hola! Amy and I have been very busy and having a great time! On the 6th we took the train to Valencia and decided to have a more relaxing day. We did have a fantastic lunch when we arrived in Valencia. We both had a Caprese salad which was stacked perfectly cooked eggplant, fresh tomato, and melt in your mouth mozzarella, not the rubbery crap we get in the states. It was sprinkled with basil and arugula and a small drizzle of olive oil! We spent the rest of the day relaxing and then had a stereotypical hostel experience and met a lot of other foreigners, had some drinks, dinner, and dancing. I've learned I'm terrible at salsa dancing but it's fun watching others!

Yesterday Amy and I took a bike tour (for free!) around Valencia. This city is beautiful but so stupid. They built a stunning opera house for the express purpose of bringing in tourists and they only use it twice a year! Also it was poorly built and they have a lot of maintenance and flooding issues.
Opera House

Science Museum, the whole thing which consists of several different buildings is supposed to look like a dinosaur
The below building is ONE tennis court that isn't used anymore! After lunch we headed to the beach with some of the people we've met. Then I cooked dinner for 5 others in the hostel (including Amy) which saved a bunch of money, 4 Euro is a lot better then 15 Euro!

Tennis Court 
Gate to old Valencia




Amazing sand castle!
 We really enjoyed biking around the city on our tour so today we rented bikes again! We rode to the beach, all over the city, to the Royal Gardens, the Bull Fighting Arena, etc. This city is idiotically wasteful with the above buildings but they are great at bike lanes! A good size, on the inside of the parking and a lot of people use them! They also have zip cars for bikes, basically you can rent them for any amount of time and return them to another stand. For lunch we finally tried Paella!
Paella

I was going to upload a picture of the amazing bike paths but it's taking too long and I got things to do and people to see so you'll just have to wait!

1 comment: