Map

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May 14th

We're back in Madrid. It feels kinda like home now since I know the metro system so well and had a very easy time finding our hostel. I made Summer Spaghetti (pasta primavera for non-Winklers) for lunch and later we plan to go to our favorite tapas restaurant for dinner! Several of you have commented that I don't seem to go on very many adventures and I see too many churches and palaces but there are soooo many to see! I guess a lot of my more adventure type activities happen at night with the other travelers I meet I just haven't been writing about that but I'll try and get better... Just to prove that we have met people and do make friends:

Mexican, Belgian, German, Kiwi and Americans!

I already have places to stay in a few cities and tour guides who will show me around! This was only from one hostel! It seems this entire country goes out every night of the week and of course they don't start until midnight at the earliest. I will attempt to do more adventure type things, today's big adventure... Laundry! My first one in two weeks! Don't worry, I wash my unmentionables in the shower everyday. Amy leaves tomorrow and I'm headed to Granada. It's been so wonderful to have her with me as a travel companion and a translator! I'm a little nervous getting around this country without Spanish but I only have one more week and then I go to England, yay English and seeing Allison!

We did see another palace yesterday in Zaragoza, sorry I know but it was really interesting! The Aljaferia is an Islamic Palace built in the 11th century and currently houses the Cortes de Aragon (Aragon Parliament). In 1118 when Alfonso I conquered Aragon the palace housed the Christian kings until 1492 when the Catholic Monarchs took over. Ferdinand and Isabella lived in this palace when they unified Spain.


Named the Courtyard of Joy


Most interesting part of the day, these etchings are from the
prisoners of war who were kept in this area of the castle


Ceiling in the prison

The prison

Seriously ornate ceilings



I also booked the rest of my time here in Spain and now I'm going to go on a run through the park. Adios!


2 comments:

  1. Just catching up on your blog! I am getting so excited!!!! And PS everyone is going to complain we see too much royal stuff in the UK! Hahaha. :D Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete