I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again... I was a terrible packer at the beginning. I had no clue what to pack and I did a terrible job at guessing. I read blogs, googled stuff, did my best at getting info and most of it was wrong! DEAD WRONG! So if you are planning a long trip and you are also looking for packing advice, in my opinion most of what I read was just bad information. But different strokes for different folks. The blogs I read mostly suggest function over fashion and that really got in my head. So much so that I only packed a lap swimming bathing suit! I packed pants that made sense if I was living in the wilderness for the following six months and had to store rope, a knife, and a small propane tank for cooking food in my pants but I'm not. I'm in Europe, and in Europe you can not only buy things you need you don't need to store your life in your pants. What I have now is not going to win fashion awards that is for sure but what I had to begin with was just ugly and I'm here to tell you that isn't necessary. It's possible to pack well in a small amount of space without making yourself look frumpy and gross. At the end I'll show you the single greatest thing I have with me that I bought in England.


First and foremost, the bag. This is one of the only things I had with me when I started and is also one of the best. Sadly, I can't take credit. Alyssa did the research, found this bag and she's a damn genius! What I don't get is I have yet to see someone else with this bag and I didn't read about it on a single blog before hand and they are all sadly missing the mark. What is so wonderful about this bag... IT HAS WHEELS!!! It is a backpack and has wheels. I see all these sad looking folks trekking around with bags on their back twice their size and they all look so sad when I walk by with my wheels! Seriously, I don't get why people think you need to actually have a backpack to backpack. Maybe if you're going to be in the Himalayas I could understand but if you're not you don't. Maybe they just get a view of "backpacking" and think it's necessary but let me tell you (you might thank me for this, or Alyssa) you don't! Wheels are just fine and for the few times I have strapped this bad boy on my back I was able to. I did use it as a backpack a lot in Spain where the sidewalks are hard to pull a suitcase on, running across Venice it was useful, and in places where there are a lot of stairs but other than that Europe does have escalators and elevators believe it or not so go ahead and get yourself a set of wheels. Also, this bag fits everything, I don't know how it works, it might be magical.
OK onto the inside, clothes... The trick that I have learned with clothes is layering is key. Layering not only makes sense with changing weather it gives you options to not feel like you're wearing the same thing everyday when you really are.
 |
| Three of these were purchased in Europe |
 |
Lots of shirts that can be layered, including three white tank tops |
 |
My colder clothes, a cardigan, jacket, long-sleeve shirt, hat, gloves and a really great scarf that has been a pillow blanket and lots more |
 |
| Jeans, leggings, yoga pants, shorts, and a skirt |
 |
| My sleep clothes |
 |
All my other stuff: makeup, laundry stuff, sunscreen, shower stuff, etc etc |
 |
| All my technology |
 |
| My purse is waterproof and fits tons of stuff |
 |
The belongings I have with me most of the time, notebook, wallet, kindle, and small bag with out things that come in handy |
 |
| Quick drying towels |
Tip #3 (or whatever we're on): packing cubes! I can't believe how many long term travelers don't have packing cubes! I will use packing cubes for the rest of my life, even two weeks trips! They keep you organized and make getting things in and out faster and easier. Everything in my bag has a place and as my cousin once said, "it's like you're playing Tetris everyday". Very true but I always know where everything is and goes which is wonderful.
And now the greatest thing I have...

This bag cost me a pound or two and I have used it as a beach bag, grocery bag, laundry bag, everything! It's light, fits a ton and fits in a tiny space:
Well there it is, that's everything I have!
Yay! What a great post! It makes me want to pack up and travel again. :) Nice work!
ReplyDelete