Map

Thursday, July 4, 2013

July 1st & 2nd - Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore)

Caprese!
The Italians suck at staying on schedule, I’m sorry to say, but it’s true! They have train schedules but there’s really no point, they are usually cancelled or delayed by so much that you’ll miss your connection. After a series of unfortunate events we had to make 6 or 7 different train connections (we lost track) to get from Verona to Cinque Terre. It was a ridiculously long day and our arms killed from lifting our bags onto the overhead shelf but we made it. We stayed in the first Cinque Terre town, (it’s 5 along the coast) Riomaggiore. As if we weren’t tired enough we had to walk up a very steep hill and a lot more steps to get to our room. Unfortunately we were really disappointed with our room, it was muggy, didn’t have a window, was very dark, and we booked it for the wifi which we didn’t have. Anyway, at that point we were very ready for dinner, had a few drinks at the bar our waiter suggested and then headed to bed.



Tri-pasta, it's pesto, bolognese, and olive oil with parmesan
the bolognese was my favorite


I had to try the tiramisu and I'm going to have to have it again before I leave Italy! I generally think the American version has too many layers of lady fingers and they are drenched and therefore soggy and take over the cream. This one only had one layer at the bottom lightly dipped in coffee/liquor which really let the cream shine. It was perfect. 



Spritz, this is the Venetian drink, it's so pretty

The following day we started out with crepes!


Pesto and cheese crepe

It was very hard not to buy all these spice mixes
As I said above, Cinque Terre is a series of five small towns along the coast and there are paths you can hike in between each one.  Unfortunately only one is open at the moment due to flooding from last year that has severely damaged the path. We took a train to Corniglia and hiked to Vernanzza. Vernanzza was a great little town right on the water. We found a spot to sit and enjoy the scenery, had some gelato, hiked back to Corniglia and caught a train the rest of the way. The hike and the coast line was absolutely gorgeous. The hike was a little rough with a lot of stairs but we made it both ways!



I took this sitting on a rock in the water in Vernanzza

That's me!


Nutella and coffee gelato

Above Vernanzza



We had to wait an hour from the next train so we got back pretty late but we both had delicious grilled sea bass for dinner! Head and all!


Riomaggiore

Riomaggiore

Corniglia


The first town you can see is Corniglia,
 in the distance is Manarola
We would have loved to have stayed and done a bit more hiking if it was open but since it wasn't we decided to move onto Florence! Cinque Terre is beautiful and the towns are wonderful with great food, I highly suggest it if you find yourself in Italy!

Dad, don't worry, you didn't raise a fool. I got us some money back on the room since it wasn't what was published.

No comments:

Post a Comment