#1 thing I love about Greece.... the bus system is actually reliable! Alyssa and I have had such an easy time figuring out how to get around here!
#2 The people are just the best!
#3 other drivers are very considerate. Most roads are two lanes but have a shoulder. People usually drive half way into the shoulder so others can pass and generally always move over if someone else is driving faster.
I could live here. I may have to
go back before the end of this trip. Crete is the southern most island Greece
and also the largest. Although Alyssa and I did a lot we
only saw a small portion of it and I loved every second.
We flew from Corfu to Crete and
got on the last bus at midnight to our hostel. Alyssa and I are getting pretty
good at figuring at how to find things in foreign countries where we don’t
speak the language, NBD. The following day we woke up pretty late. I’ll just go
ahead and be honest…. If sleeping was an Olympic sport Alyssa would win the
gold and I would win the silver FOR SURE! If we don’t have an express plan or reason we have to get up
in the morning we just don’t. Of course we feel a little guilty that we don’t
completely seize everyday but it’s just who we are so there it is. It’s nice
that we’re at least on the same page when it comes to hitting the snooze button
over and over again.
On our way to find the bus a lady in a shop talked to us, out of habit Alyssa and I kinda brushed her off assuming she wanted to sell us something but she didn’t at all! She was wonderful and just enjoyed talking to new people. She was very excited to meet Americans, she’s Russian and had just moved there and hadn’t met any Americans yet. She gave us a map and a bunch of bus information and later gave us a GREAT restaurant recommendation, more on that later. So far in our experience Greeks are wonderful people. Everyone we meet makes you feel like a member the family. Sort of how I pictured Italians to be but Greeks really are that way! So if you’re looking for a new best friend go to Ireland and if you’re looking for a new family go to Greece! If you don’t like people go to France, just kidding (kind of)!

OK, so we got up late and went to see the Archeological
museum of Heraklion and because Greece knows how to do busses we found that
thing like a champ! Unfortunately it was closed that day only due to a strike.
We got on some hop-on/hop-off bus thing to get to Knossos Palace, the ruins of
the oldest Minoan society. The Minoans were the first people of Crete and the earliest advance civilization. The first settlement dates back to 7000 BC and the first palace to 1900 BC. It was abandoned sometime between 1380-1100 BC. According to Greek mythology this is where King Minos lived with the labyrinth and Minotaur. The Athenians had to send 7 girls and 7 boys hunger games style to be given to the Minotaur. We paid for a tour so we would have some idea what we
were looking at it was pretty interesting. I found the infrastructure to be the
most fascinating.
 |
| The throne is original |
 |
| How the room above was actually found prior to renovations |
 |
| A door stop! |
 |
A system for running water. It separates out the grit, the grit
goes straight and collects while the water goes left downhill |
 |
| original pipes |
 |
| View from the top |
 |
| Oldest road in the world |
 |
| Theater |
 |
|
Above, Leper Island; Below, Agios Nickolous |
The following day Alyssa and I
picked up our rental car and drove to Agios Nickolous. Most of the driving was
a bit intense, on small very windy roads up and down the mountains. However it
was all very beautiful. We enjoyed walking around the first town and headed to
the second for some lunch and lay on a secluded beach that we found for
awhile.
 |
| Loutro, one of the towns you can only get to on a ferry |
The next day we hiked the Samarian
Gorge, we had to drive three hours and take two ferries to get there. The two
towns the ferry stopped in are only accessible by the ferry. The entire gorge
is 11.5km but due to time we only did 2km. Normally people take a bus to the
top and walk down but we didn’t have that kinda time so we walked up from the
bottom and back down. It was gorgeous! We were told where the most beautiful
spot was so we made sure to walk past that. After the hike we drove to
Rythemno, a Venetian city on Crete. The streets are very tiny and do look a
bit like Venice. We asked a local for a restaurant recommendation, had dinner,
walked around a bit and went back to Uncle George’s. We didn’t have a place to
stay that night so Kostas hooked us up at his brother’s place.
 |
Lunch before the hike. This feta cheese was different than
any other we had, it was extremely light and sort of fluffy almost
I could live on Greek salad! |
 |
| Our car is the blue one, you can park wherever in Greece too! |
Beautiful sunset in Rethimnon...
 |
| Rethimnon |
Dinner in Rethimnon...
 |
| The left one is a pepper feta dip and right is olive |
 |
Delicious spanikopita, the inside was creamy and the outside
was perfectly flaky. In the states it's usually too much philo
and not enough spinach but this one had a perfect ratio. |
 |
| Rabbit for dinner! |
 |
| Uncle George's |
Emy!!
ReplyDeleteDude, I totally recognize Uncle George's place!!! I never went in there, but we would drive by it all the time!! And that's so awesome you got to see the city at the bottom of the gorge. I didn't get a chance to go all the way down - we drove to the gorge (didn't realize a bus could drive you) and walked almost all the way down. And I totally have a picture of the ruins with me in front of it (see my facebook cover ... look familiar?). You definitely took alot more pictures than me :P I'm so bad at keeping up with pictures!