Map

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Townsville and Magnetic Island

They were huge!
Sorry about the map, Google stopped saving my pins so I had to make a new one and I can't figure out how to not make it look like that. 

After a very uneventful day in Townsville I decided to pick myself up, stop feeling bad for myself and do something. Magnetic Island is only 8km off the coast so I decided to go there for one last day of heat and sun! After an extraordinarily bumpy ferry ride I bought a day pass for the bus (it's a pretty big island) and made my way to the other side of the island to Horseshoe Bay. It was a lovely beach where I soaked up a few more rays of sunshine, had a delicious lunch of New Zealand Mussels, and read more of my Australia book.

On of the gun things
I read in my Magnetic Island guide about a few walks you could do on the island so I figured I would burn a few calories and it actually was pretty breezy that day so I did one. I did a walk out to the forts built in 1942 to defend against the Japanese after attacking Townsville. I could see where they kept the large guns as well as the forts and even walked on top of one of them for some really nice views. All-in-all it was a great day and following I was off to Sydney for my last two nights in OZ!


You can climb to the top of this one
One of the forts

In case you forgot what I look like, that's me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad that your map is gone, I hope you'll eventually do a large map with EVERYWHERE you've visited not just this trip! :)

    ReplyDelete