Map

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Random Musings about Aussies

I still have to write about the dive I did but who likes a blog post without pictures? No One! All my photos from the dive are on a CD so I'll have to wait and post about that one later. Yesterday I didn't do anything notable. I was sad and lonely so I decided to go to a movie and what movie did I decide to go to… The Book Thief! Worst.Idea.Ever. Don't go see a Holocaust movie where everyone dies if you're feeling sad and lonely! Today was way more fun but again that's going to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime here are a few things I've learned while in this huge country full of more things that can kill you than any other place!

- The Greeks are wonderful and the Irish are wonderful and the Australians are another entire different type of wonderful. The Greeks are proud of their home and want to share it with you, the Irish would love to share a pint or three, now the Australians are maybe the most positive people I’ve seen. They are very friendly, love getting to know new people, and even the checkout lady at the grocery store and bus driver have a smiles on their faces! They are also very polite, always use please, thank you, ask how you’re doing (they say going i.e. “how ya going”), and are never really in a rush. I could get used to these people.

- Ordering food at the bar. It seems very rare and only in super nice restaurants that you order food while sitting at the table (In Cairns we sat at tables to order a lot but it was a good mix and I think that has to do with Cairns being so touristy). You always order your food and drinks at the bar and they bring it out to you. Generally you also have to grab your utensils and a cup of water if you want it. I’m not complaining or anything, didn’t bother me either way just an interesting observation.

- Shit is expensive here! That is all.

- I have seen more Chicago Bulls jerseys here than I ever have in Chicago


The middle lane of cars is down the center of the road
- They park down the middle of the road sometimes instead of on the sides sometimes in addition. You can also use an open spot to flip a bitch if you need to.

- The 80s forgot to call Australia and tell them they wanted their clothes back. You can buy every kind of everything in a neon color here, overalls, leg warmers, etc. It’s not ok.

- They eat canned spaghetti for breakfast (sorta the substitute for baked beans although they eat that too) weird.

- There are two types of cheese, tasty and sharp. So basically sharp and mild but I think it’s interesting that they call it tasty.

- Australians love big things! It all started in Coffs Harbour where a guy (an American I will have you know) made a huge banana and started selling frozen bananas and became a bajillionaire. I did go and no I did not take a picture with the big banana. Now, there are large things all over. I’ve seen a Big Mango, shrimp, cow, frog, and many more. There are over 60 scattered all over this country.


This Kangaroo named Matilda was used in
one of the commonwealth games. The athletes
ran out of  her pouch. Her head moves and her
eyes open and close.

- I find it very interesting that Aussies don’t know their own history. We were on the bus and Alan was telling Australian history and out of nowhere he asked me (I was the only American on the trip) what happened in 1776. Right I way I said that the Declaration of Independence was signed, I mean every American knows that right? Well he then went to the only Aussie on the tour and asked her who the first Prime Minister of Australia was and she didn’t know! They also don’t know the day they became country! Australia Day is on Jan 26th but the country was formed on Jan 1st 1901 but none of them know that! Later I asked that Australian who the first US president was and she knew! She knows my history better than her own! I find that insane because that shit is all drilled in our heads!

- I personally am very proud of this! For a few weeks now I have been looking right first instead of left! In my opinion that is the hardest habit to break but I have finally done it!

- My favorite historical story that I have learned (I’m currently reading a book on Australia so I’m actually learning a lot) is about Herold Hold. He was an Australian Prime Minister and they lost him! That’s right, he just vanished into the ocean and they lost him!

1 comment:

  1. I see Bulls hats all over the place in Lima too. Also, the neon colors and leg warmers are abundant here as well. I think it might be a recycled fashion thing. No idea.

    ReplyDelete